At St.Matthew’s C E (Aided) Primary School and Nursery Centre our Governing Body duties are wide ranging, including;
• Key Governor Champions involvement in the strategic financial management planning for Pupil Premium Children and Children in Care and those with special educational needs / physical disabilities.
• Ensuring equality of opportunity for all its pupils.
• Key Strategic governors involvement in the writing of termly Raising Attainment Plans with the attached school improvement advisor and Senior Management Team. This is usually the Chair of Governors in attendance.
• Establishing priorities , actions and timescales to raise standards of progress and attainment.
• Playing a pivotal role in establishing School improvement strategic planning and evaluation.
• Monitoring the progress of all groups of children, evaluating the impact of the school’s curriculum and promoting good teaching and learning.
• Acting as a ‘critical friend’. A ‘critical friend’ offers support, constructive advice, a sounding board for ideas, a second opinion on proposals and help where needed. However a ‘critical friend’ may also challenge, ask questions, seek information, improve proposals and so arrive at the best solution for the pupils, staff and whole school community.
• If a member of the Finance Committee, being involved in strategic financial planning , making decisions on the school’s budget and staffing, scrutinising school benchmarking to ensure best practice and best value.
• Being accountable for the performance of the school to parents and the wider community.
• If a member of the Curriculum Committee , ensuring that the curriculum for the school is balanced and broadly based and taking part in learning walks/Deep dives to ensure consistency of practice, evaluate provision and gain a greater awareness of standards and progress of targeted groups.
• Meeting with class teachers as Governor Champions to discuss progress and achievement, paying particular attention to Pupil Premium Children, CIC and other vulnerable children.
• If a member of the Health and Safety and Safeguarding Committee ensuring policy and procedures are followed and embedded.
• Ratification and approval of all school policies.